Friday, November 13, 2009

Happy Friday!

Another busy week coming to an end.  I wanted to write about my exciting day yesterday.  I traveled to Lexington (I live in Kentucky) to meet with my graduate advisor to plan my final courses, and to discuss the organization of a alternative conflict resolution association in Kentucky.   The field of alternative dispute/conflict resolution is coming into its own.  What was once a field dominated by attorneys and judges as a means to resolve legal disputes outside of litigation, has now become a profession in its own right.  The realization is that life coaching/conflict coaching, alternative conflict resolution (proactive/reactive) is not about the law, but about human emotions, behaviors, wants, needs, goals and values.  It is individual empowerment to make the most important decisions that affect our personal well-being or the well-being of those closest to us. 

Associations that support the field of conflict resolution are popping up all over the United States.  Kentucky is behind in this area and it is time we catch up!  LaVena Wilkins, my advisor and the Director of the Graduate Studies in Conflict Management at Sullivan University, and an advocate for the need and growth of this profession, and I had a wonderful talk about the the need for an association here and the necessary first steps in planning the first Kentucky based conflict resolution association.  I am so excited about the opportunity to be a part of such an important organization.  This organization will support our practitioners, work to educate individuals on proactive and reactive ways to manage conflict, educate our schools, develop a marketing network, and promote the growth of this profession in our home state.  We decided that our first step would be to begin polling individuals from various professions and areas of study for their levels of interest in the program.  Once we determine the level of  interest, we will schedule a meeting to develop our planning committee and to begin outlining the process for organizing the association.  I will keep everyone posted!

Finally, I ended my day with lunch and a bit of shopping with my best friend Amy who has been a wonderful support to me through many years of our friendship.  She is the kind of friend that lasts a lifetime, doesn't judge or criticize, gives honest advice and truly wants your happiness.  It was the end to a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment